Skip to main content

Kildalton Kirkyard, Isle of Islay

Newly added data increases Deceased Online's Scottish database to nearly 200 cemeteries and burial grounds

In a joint project with Scottish Monumental Inscriptions (SMI) we have uploaded monumental inscriptions together with photographs (of headstones dating back to 1632) for 13 cemeteries and burial grounds as indicated below:


SITE NAME
EARLIEST READABLE YEAR
New Calton Burial Ground, Edinburgh
1746
Invergarry Cemetery, Highlands
1957
Cromdale and Advie, Morayshire
1768
Old Monklands Cemetery, North Lanarkshire
1632
Biggar Churchyard and Cemetery, South Lanarkshire
1700
Larkhall, South Lanarkshire     
1900
Lesmahagow Churchyard, South Lanarkshire
1622
Stonehouse Churchyard, South Lanarkshire
1651
Stonehouse Old and New Cemeteries, South Lanarkshire
1876
Strathaven Cemetery, South Lanarkshire
1676
St Mary's Churchyard, Dunblane, Stirling           
1833

Abercorn Churchyard and Cemetery, West Lothian
1662

Adambrae Cemetery, West Lothian     
1932

The transcripts and photographs have been made available to search online for the first time, as part of the Deceased Online national database of burials and cremations. You can read more about the SMI data on the website here

In addition, images and inscriptions of the headstones and other memorials for Kildalton on the stunningly beautiful isle of Islay in the Inner Hebrides and Roshven Burial Ground on the Morven Peninsula in Highland, are now available.

There are around a hundred names in this new data for Kildalton. Although there are no burial registers, the details do include photographs as well as memorial inscriptions. The Kildalton records date back to 1830 but this wonderful cemetery has much older associations and is of historic national importance. 


The parish is believed to be named after one of the stepsons of the Macdonalds, the family who ruled the island in the Middle Ages. The power of the MacDonalds was tempered by John Mclan (or MacLan) of Ardnamurchan who captured John Mor MacDonald (executed 1499) on behalf of the King James IV. John Maclan's great grandson is buried at Kildalton under a stone bearing an effigy of him in his armour.

Kidalton Cross is one of, if not the best example of a Celtic Cross, in the world. The cross is estimated to have been carved in the second half of the 8th century.
The SMI collections dataset now totals around 100 cemeteries, kirkyards and burial grounds with the oldest records dating back to the 1530s. Deceased Online also has more comprehensive burial details for 86 cemeteries, all of which include burial registers and grave details and many also have cemetery maps. Our records cover most of the old counties of Scotland and altogether, there are around one and a quarter million names in our Scottish records.
If you have Scottish ancestry, do check back over the next few months, as we shall be doubling the data to almost 400 grave inscriptions and other records. We’ll keep you posted on this blog, our newsletter, and on the Facebook and Twitter pages.
Sources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a