Skip to main content

Kent and Sussex Crematorium

William Hartnell (1908-1975) - the first Doctor Who

2013 will see the fiftieth anniversary of the popular television series, Doctor Who. Although the Timelord is believed to be somewhere between 900 and 1,200 years old, he was introduced to the British public fifty years ago, on 23 November 1963. The first Dr Who was William Hartnell, who died in 1978 and is found in the database amongst the records of the Kent and Sussex Crematorium.


William Hartnell playing his most famous role of Doctor Who  (c) Wikimedia Commons
Deceased Online holds around 95,000 cremation records for the crematorium, most of which are scans of the registers dating from 1958 to 1995. More recent records are available fully computerised. Other Kent records on the database include the burial registers of Tunbridge Wells and Southborough cemeteries. 
The gardens at Kent and Sussex Crematorium (c) www2.tunbridgewells.gov.uk

William Henry Hartnell was born in the Bloomsbury area of London on 8 January 1908. His mother, Lucy Hartnell, was unmarried and worked as a commercial clerk, often sending the young 'Billy' to rural Devon to stay with her family. Hartnell disliked school, but after leaving joined a boxing club where he met Hugh Blaker, an art collector. A passionate theatregoer, Blaker helped Hartnell to gain a place at the Italia Conti Stage School, where the young Billy trained to be an actor.

Originally a theatre actor under the name of 'Billy Hartnell', he appeared in his first film, School for Scandal, in 1930. He became a leading actor in 1944 (Carol Reed's The Way Ahead) after serving in the tanks corps during the Second World War. Hartnell's film career developed over the next twenty years, culminating in one of his most celebrated roles, that of of Johnson, an old rugby league talent scout, in This Sporting Life (1963).

Verity Lambert, a BBC producer, spotted Hartnell in this film and offered him the title role of a new children's television series - Doctor Who. Initially reluctant to accept the role, Hartnell grew to love the character, and the respect it brought him from his grandchildren. In 1966, ill health and conflicts with a new producer led Hartnell to leave the programme, where he was replaced by Patrick Troughton.

Hartnell continued to act in theatre, film and television despite declining health. In 1973 he filmed a tenth anniversary episode, 'The Three Doctors', for Doctor Who, but was admitted to hospital the following year. William Henry Hartnell died on 23 April 1975 at Coxheath, near Maidstone. He was cremated five days later in Tunbridge Wells.

Entry for William Henry Hartnell in the register of the Kent and Sussex Crematorium as digitized on Deceased Online
Sources:
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (OUP, 2004-13): "Hartnell, William Henry (1908-1975), actor" by Robert Sharp






Comments

  1. RIP Mr Hartnell, you were a fine actor. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what his family did with his ashes.

      Delete
  2. Have you seen his grave do you have a picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one knows. His ashes were either
      A. Interred in the gardens without a marker,
      B. Ashes scattered either in the gardens or elsewhere,
      C. Ashes given to family for private holding.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a