Skip to main content

Sale (Brooklands), Dunham Lawn and Urmston Cemeteries



All records from Trafford Council’s cemetries are now on the database

Full details of Dunham Lawn Cemetery, Sale Cemetery, and Urmston Cemetery have now been uploaded to the Deceased Online website joining records for Hale (Altrincham) and Stretford cemeteries. Although all are situated in the Trafford area of Greater Manchester, the three latest editions are quite distinct.

The oldest is Sale Cemetery, also known as Sale Brooklands after its Cheshire location. The Brooklands area is named after a local businessman, Samuel Brooks, who bought a plot of land there in 1856. Sale Cemetery opened in Marsland Road a few years later on 29 August 1862. The popular Gothic Revival style of the High Victorian period is still much in evidence in the cemetery through numerous memorials, the lodge by the entrance, and the disused chapels.

Dr. James Prescott Joule (1818-1889)
The cemetery contains the grave of one of Britain's most renowned physicists, Dr. James Prescott Joule.  Joule was born in Salford on Christmas Eve 1818 to a wealthy local brewer and his wife. When he turned 16, the young James was sent to study under the eminent chemist John Dalton. Joule is remembered today mainly for the eponymous SI unit of energy which he determined in 1840, but before this he invented electrical welding and the displacement pump. His work was much celebrated during his lifetime, with Joule being awarded the Royal and Copley medals by the Royal Society and honorary degrees from Dublin, Oxford, and Edinburgh. Joule remained loyal to his Manchester roots and from 1872 lived at 12 Wardle Road in Sale. He died there on 11 October 1889, and was buried five days later. John Benjamin Dancer (1812-1887), the Manchester instrument maker who supplied much of the equipment for Joule's early experiments and is celebrated as the founder of microphotography, is also buried in Sale Cemetery.

Burial register entry for James Prescott Joule (3rd line down)
 Like the man himself, Joule's headstone is modest, marked simply by the number 772 - the weight in pounds of the force that Joule deduced was the mechanical equivalent of heat - and the following Biblical passage:

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work
John 9: 4

As mentioned in last week's post, the suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst is buried in Brompton Cemetery in London (records soon to be available on Deceased Online). However, she and her family lived for many years in the Manchester area and her barrister husband, Richard Marsden Pankhurst (1834-1898), is buried in Sale Cemetery, alongside his parents.  

Urmston Cemetery opened in Queens Road, Urmston in 1892. Also known as Queen’s Road Cemetery, the burial ground was part of the Manor of Urmston. The manor house, Urmston Old Hall, was demolished in 1937. The area has ancient associations, with fragments of pottery being found here in 1983 by the South Trafford Archaeological Group.

Dunham Lawn Cemetery lies in landscaped gardens in Whitehouse Lane, Dunham Massey, Altrincham. Opened in 1963, headstones were forbidden in the grave area until 1985, with only memorial plaques allowed in the chapel.

If you find an ancestor in the database and wish to visit the burial place, full details on opening hours can be found at the Trafford Council website: http://www.trafford.gov.uk/communityandliving/burialsandcremations/cemeteriesandcrematoria/ Do be aware that Sale Cemetery was designed around a complex butterfly plan. Exact burial locations can be found using the grave maps in the database.

The cremation records from Altrincham Crematorium will be online soon, completing the data from Trafford Council. Watch out for updates on our Twitter and Facebook pages!

Sources:
C. Brooks, Mortal Remains (1989)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Nottingham Collection

This week, Deceased Online expands its Nottingham Collection with the addition of records from the early Victorian cemetery, Nottingham General. Enter Nottingham's General Cemetery from Canning Terrace and be prepared to step back in time to the late 19th century. Like many of the Victorian cemeteries in the Deceased Online collections, Nottingham General was designed to take the burden from parish churches whose graveyards had become overcrowded. Also, like many other Victorian cemeteries, this was administered by a newly-formed body, the Nottingham General Cemetery Company (1836) . The Grade II listed gatehouse , the chapel and the adjacent almshouses were built between 1836 and 1838 by S. S. Rawlinson . Burial registers were kept from the opening date of cemetery in 1838. Concerns were raised in the 1920s that this municipal cemetery was now overcrowded and from 1929 the cemetery was closed to new burials other than those who owned burial rights. Headstones in

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a