Skip to main content

Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

We're really excited about this week's addition of cemetery records from North Yorkshire

This week over half of the burial records for Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council will be added to the Deceased Online database. This is the first area for us from North Yorkshire, and the second Yorkshire council (after Wakefield, West Yorkshire) on the website.

Redcar and Cleveland is located on the beautiful north east coastline. Although largely rural, the area has a strong mining history. Other historical highlights of the area are the ruined Augustinian Gisborough Priory, Kirkleatham Museum, Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museum, Winkies Castle, the bronze age Eston Nab hill fort, and the Georgian mansion and home to the Pennyman family, Ormesby Hall.


Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council manages eight cemeteries completely. We uploaded four of these this week:

 Boosbeck                      opened 1931      2,600 burials
 Brotton                          1936                   2,753
 Eston [and Normanby]  1865                   48,228
 Guisborough                 1873                   12,540

The oldest of these is Eston Cemetery, located in Eston and just quarter of a mile from Normanby. In 1850 Eston was a tiny parish of just two cottages. After the discovery of iron, the area grew into a thriving mining town that fuelled the growth of the Teesside steel industry. The cemetery was built as an extension of the parish church of St Helen. 97 known casualties of the two world wars are buried here, and an ironstone obelisk commemorates Victoria Cross holder and local footballer, William Henry Short (1884-1916), who was killed at the Somme. 

Guisborough is now a market town, with beautiful Georgian and Victorian architecture, including Gisborough Hall, which dates from 1856. The town grew wealthy during the Industrial Revolution as a result of the nearby ironstone mines. The cemetery is situated to the north of the town and contains 27 official war graves. 

To the east of Guisborough is Boosbeck, a village with a strong mining history. Two known war casualties are buried in the cemetery there. 

Further east is Brotton, which lies in the parish of Skelton and Brotton. This was also an iron mining village, but has become celebrated as the home of Charles Robinson Sykes, the designer of the Spirit of Ecstasy mascot for Rolls-Royce cars. There are eleven official war graves in Brotton Church Cemetery, including an Australian munition worker named J. Reid, and five at Brotton Cemetery.

We'll be adding the remaining records for this area, as indicated below, in two week's time:

Loftus                         1857                     8,651
Redcar                       1874                    16,936
Saltburn                     1899                    4,516
Skelton                       1875                    9,739.  


The above image is taken from the first page of the Register of Burials in the Burial Ground Eston and Normanby. The first burial took place on New Year's Day, 1863. Details of the deceased given in this register include name, age, gender, place where died, date of burial, name of minister performing the ceremony, exact location in burial ground, and whether in consecrated or unconsecrated ground. There is an extra column for added remarks.


This 1932 page from the Register of Burials in the Burial Ground of Boosbeck has similar columns but the 'Place where Death occurred' section has been completed to include the full address, rather than just the name of the village.

Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council also manages a small number of burials from 1996 for the churchyards of Kirkleatham and Wilton.

In a few weeks you will be able to access the full range of records for this region, including cemetery section maps. 

Look out for our updates about this collection on out Twitter and Facebook pages! As usual, we love to hear from you, so please let us know if you've find any ancestors in this collection. You can add comments in the box below.

Sources
http://guisboroughhistorynotes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/walter-dack-brelstaff.html 


Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a