Skip to main content

Darwen Cemetery

This week's post focuses on the history of Darwen Cemetery, and is the last in my series of posts on the Blackburn and Darwen Collection. Also below are details of an Open Day for Blackburn Cemeteries and Crematorium which takes place this weekend.
View towards Darwen Tower (Copyright Clementslinda @Wikimedia Commons)
Darwen Cemetery opened in 1861, with a second section added in 1876. A need for a spacious cemetery had emerged in the 1850s as Darwen's churchyards became full. As with Blackburn Cemetery, Darwen had three chapels, one each for Anglicans, Nonconformists and Roman Catholics.
There are dozens of fascinating people buried in Darwen Cemetery. The lives of many are explored in more detail on the History page in the Research section of the website of the Friends of Darwen Cemetery. Below I have highlighted some of the most celebrated in Darwen's history.
Darwen's India Mill with its grand chimney
Nineteenth century Darwen was dominated by the cotton trade. New mills appeared on the horizon and local cotton manufacturers became rich and powerful. The names of manufacturing families like Eccles, Shorrock and Ashton are well-known in the town. The first Eccles Shorrock arrived in Darwen in 1830 when he bought the Bowling Green Mill. He forged partnerships with Bannister Eccles, Thomas Ashton and James Shorrock, and built Darwen Mill and New Mill. His nephew, Eccles Shorrock Ashton (1827-1889), inherited his uncle's mills and after his death he dropped his surname, becoming the second Eccles Shorrock. He made a great contribution to Darwen's economy and landscape when he constructed the India Mill, with its magnificent chimney. 

Sadly, in 1882, Shorrock's business was devastated by the effects of the famine in India. The cotton market slumped, a thousand of his workers lost their jobs, and he fell into bankruptcy. Unable to cope, Shorrock suffered a mental breakdown and was sent to an asylum in Edinburgh. He died a few years later, aged 62. His body was returned to Darwen to be buried in the cemetery on 1 October 1889. Eccles Shorrock's grave was left unmarked until October 2011 when, to mark World Mental Health Day, the Friends of Darwen Cemetery arranged an official unveiling of a new black granite headstone.
Entry in the Darwen Burial Register for Eccles Shorrock junior
Born Martha Jane Walmsley in Blackburn to the headmaster of Park Road Congregational day school and his wife, Martha Jane Bury (1850-1913) would go on to be the President of the Women's Co-operative Guild. Although she was fairly well-educated, family circumstances led to Martha working in the mills from the age of 11. She married weaver John William Bury in 1882. Through evening classes, John eventually became qualified to work as a clerk and then mill manager. At the age of 42 and the mother of five children, Martha finally stopped working in the mill.

Martha was elected secretary of the Darwen branch of the Women's Co-operative Guild in 1893. She was first elected President of the Guild in 1896. A keen reformer, her work led to the introduction of minimum wage for co-operative employees; and as a Poor Law Guardian for Blackburn she sought improved treatment for unmarried and poor pregnant women. In her last years she pressed for divorce reform. She died suddenly aged 62 and was buried on 4th June 1913.
Despite her great achievements and her prominence in the history of welfare reform in Darwen, in the cemetery's burial register under "Rank or Profession", Martha is referred to merely as "the wife of John W. Bury". Perhaps the cemetery's register was one area still in need of Martha Jane Bury's feminist reforms.
1915 Painting depicting the sinking of the Lusitania by the German U-boat U 20 (German Federal Archives)
Like many cemeteries in the Deceased Online database, Darwen is home to memorials or headstone inscriptions for those who died overseas or have no known grave. One such inscription on his family's gravestone is dedicated to the memory of William Dewhurst (1893-1915), a former member of Darwen's St Barnabas Church, who died aboard RMS Lusitania when it was sunk by a German U-boat on 7th May 1915. In May 1915, Dewhurst was on his way back to Lancashire to enlist in the British Army after living for a time in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA.

If you have enjoyed reading about the history of the Blackburn and Darwen Cemeteries and would like to learn more, do come and meet at least one of the Deceased Online team at the Open Day for Blackburn with Darwen Crematorium and Cemeteries taking place at Pleasington Crematorium this Sunday, 5th October, 11am to 3pm. Access is free and visitors will be able to view the records on Deceased Online, as well as take a tour of the new cemetery extension and a look behind the scenes in the crematorium building following extensive refurbishment and improvements to facilities over the last 18 months. There will also be be various other exhibitors on the day.

If you can't attend the Open Day but would like to contact the Deceased Online team, you can always get in touch via our Twitter or Facebook pages.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a