Skip to main content

Salford City Council Collection

Deceased Online this week launches a new collection from the historic industrial city of Salford 
Agecroft Cemetery, Salford
Salford is renowned as one of the world's first industrial cities. Its proud industrial history includes pioneering social support for workers, including the introduction of the world's first free public library. As a settlement, Salford dates back to the Neolithic Age, and Ordsall Hall, a haunted Tudor house is evidence of its existence as a village on the River Irwell. By the 18th century, Salford had a small population. However, this was soon to change with the Industrial Revolution. By 1801, the area was home to 29,495 individuals, many of whom worked in the expanding cotton and silk factories or on the docks of the Manchester Ship Canal. A hundred years later in 1901, thanks to the local textile industry, this had grown to 296,210. 

Sadly the early 20th century saw a decline in Salford's industry as a result of overseas competition. By 1931, the city (city status was granted in 1926) was home to some of the worst slums in the country. Salford was also hit hard during the air raids of the Second World War as bombers targetted its docks



Today, Salford is city and metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester, England, extending west of Manchester city from Salford to include the towns of EcclesWorsleySwintonWalkdenLittle Hulton, and Irlam. Worsley village is the home of the Bridgewater Canal, which opened in 1761 transporting goods to Manchester. It was thus at the heart of the transport revolution.

The cemetery and cremation registers being launched by Deceased Online thus feature many individuals involved in industry - from across the social spectrum. The register scan below shows the excellent detail in entries from Agecroft Cemetery.
Cropped image of page 4 in the Register of Burials in Salford Northern Cemetery (now Agecroft Cemetery, Salford)

The first five sites uploaded in the collection are:
  • Agecroft Cemetery (Originally Salford Northern Cemetery; 1,282 records; 1903-2003 )
  • Agecroft Crematorium (48,205 records; 1957-1999)
  • Peel Green Cemetery (Originally Eccles Cemetery; 44,276 records; 1879-2010)
  • Peel Green Crematorium (44,499 records; 1955-2001)
  • Swinton Cemetery (16,940 records; 1886-2012)
The remaining part of the collection will follow shortly. This covers 
  • Weaste Cemetery (approx 330,000 records)
These four cemeteries and two crematoria are managed by Salford City CouncilLangley Road, Pendlebury, Salford M27 8SS.



The records comprise digital scans of all burial and cremation registers, cemetery maps showing the section in which the grave is located, and grave details for each of the graves and their occupants.

Read more about other local records in the region (including Greater Manchester) that are available on Deceased Online in our blog on our North West England Collections.

Deceased Online is looking forward to uploading the Salford Collection over the next few weeks. In the meantime, if you have ancestors you want to tell us about who came from Salford, or perhaps died there or were present during te Blitz, please do let us know in the Comment Box below, or via our Twitter and Facebook pages. We love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a