Skip to main content

Macclesfield Cemetery and Crematorium in Cheshire East


More records are added to the Cheshire East Collection (1861-2015) on the Deceased Online database. 

Deceased Online has expanded it Cheshire East Collection with records from the historic Macclesfield Cemetery and Crematorium. The records are now available to view on the database. The cemetery is run by Orbitas, a company owned by Cheshire East Council, Macclesfield Cemetery is a beautiful Victorian burial ground first opened in 1866. The site includes a Grade II listed Neo-Gothic chapel, which is now used as office space. Macclesfield Crematorium was opened in 1960 in the building that was formerly the Non-Conformist Chapel.
Macclesfield Cemetery and Crematorium
The records comprise scans of the original burial and cremation registers, and details of those buried in the same grave in the cemetery. Other Cheshire East cemeteries and crematoria available to view on Deceased Online include:
  • Congleton Cemetery
  • Coppenhall Cemetery
  • Crewe Cemetery
  • Nantwich Cemetery
  • Sandbach Cemetery
  • Weston Cemetery
  • Crewe Crematorium.
Cheshire East records coming soon to Deceased Online:
  • Alderley Edge Cemetery
  • Knutsford Cemetery
  • Wilmslow Cemetery.
Macclesfield Cemetery

The Cheshire East Collection is part of the North West England collection, which also includes records from the historic county of Lancashire.

Next week, I'll be looking into the lives of some of the well-known souls who lie buried in the cemetery.

We would love to hear from anyone whose ancestors lived in Cheshire. Did they work on the railways or did they contribute to other aspects of the region's economic life? Either way, please do contact us in the Comments Box below or via our Facebook and Twitter pages.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a