Skip to main content

Alderley Edge, Knutsford, and Wilmslow Cemeteries now available on Deceased Online

Deceased Online completes the Cheshire East Orbitas collection with the addition of Alderley Edge, Knutsford, and Wilmslow Cemeteries. 
Alderly Edge Druid Circle
Above: the stone Druid's circle at Alderley Edge

Alderley Edge, Knutsford, and Wilmslow in Cheshire are all areas of rich and diverse history, with many local legends, listed buildings, and traditions.

Alderley Edge has been occupied since the Mesolithic period. Flint implements have been found in the area, and nearby there is evidence of Bronze Age copper mining. In 1995 the Derbyshire Caving Club found a collection of Roman coins dating from AD 317 to AD 336. The name Alderley appeared in 1086 as 'Aldredelie'. "The Edge" is a wide red sandstone escarpment situated above the village and is owned and maintained by the National Trust.
Alderly Edge Mines
Above: Mines at Alderley Edge
Knutsford is well known for its Royal May Day festival, an event in which hundreds of people parade through the streets and the May Queen is crowned. In another Mayday custom, residents decorate the streets of the town with coloured sand. In 1832 Queen Victoria noted this tradition in her diary, saying: "We arrived at Knutsford, where we were most civilly received, the streets being sanded in shapes which is peculiar to this town."
The unusual octagonal chapel at Knutsford Cemetery
Above: the unusual octagonal chapel at Knutsford Cemetery
Wilmslow is the home of the Lindow Man, an iron age man preserved in the peat bogs of Lindow Moss for 2,000 years. The Lindow Man represents one of the most important Iron Age finds in the country. He was transferred to the British Museum, despite a campaign to keep him locally, and takes centre stage in the Iron Age exhibition. Lindow Common, a rare lowland heathland and one of the world's most threatened habitats, is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is designated a local nature reserve. Also, the area features many beautiful parks, most notably The Carrs Park.
The Carrs, Wilmslow
Above: The Carrs Park at Wilmslow
The records for these three cemeteries comprise scans of the original burial registers and details of those buried in the same grave. The complete collection of Cheshire East cemeteries and crematoria available to view on Deceased Online are:
  • Congleton Cemetery
  • Coppenhall Cemetery
  • Crewe Cemetery
  • Nantwich Cemetery
  • Sandbach Cemetery
  • Weston Cemetery
  • Macclesfield Cemetery
  • Alderley Edge Cemetery
  • Knutsford Cemetery
  • Wilmslow Cemetery
  • Crewe Crematorium
  • Macclesfield Crematorium
We hope you have enjoyed learning about all the cemeteries and crematoria in our Cheshire East Collection. We would love to hear of any of your ancestors or other interesting people whose records you have found therein. Please do leave a comment in the box below, or contact us via our Facebook or Twitter pages!

Further information:
Other records local to the region are available on Deceased Online courtesy of:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Nottingham Collection

This week, Deceased Online expands its Nottingham Collection with the addition of records from the early Victorian cemetery, Nottingham General. Enter Nottingham's General Cemetery from Canning Terrace and be prepared to step back in time to the late 19th century. Like many of the Victorian cemeteries in the Deceased Online collections, Nottingham General was designed to take the burden from parish churches whose graveyards had become overcrowded. Also, like many other Victorian cemeteries, this was administered by a newly-formed body, the Nottingham General Cemetery Company (1836) . The Grade II listed gatehouse , the chapel and the adjacent almshouses were built between 1836 and 1838 by S. S. Rawlinson . Burial registers were kept from the opening date of cemetery in 1838. Concerns were raised in the 1920s that this municipal cemetery was now overcrowded and from 1929 the cemetery was closed to new burials other than those who owned burial rights. Headstones in

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P