Skip to main content

Greenwich and Eltham Cemeteries – resting place of one of Britain’s most cherished children’s authors



Continuing our coverage of cemeteries in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, this week we focus on Eltham Cemetery

Eltham Cemetery and Crematorium (or ‘Falconwood’) is relatively modern, with the cemetery section having opened in 1935. Darren Beach’s excellent pocket-sized London Cemeteries book[1] describes it as “one of London’s flattest cemeteries, especially compared with the rolling hills of Greenwich. Given the terrain, it’s not surprisingly based on a grid pattern, with trees only along the paths and edges.”
Eltham Chapel
The cemetery features some interesting memorials and Beach highlights a “half-size figure of a man dressed in flying gear commemorating an airman killed in 1938. It’s not easy to miss – his outfit looks more like a post-apocalyptic radioactivity suit than anything else.”

Memorial to L.A/C. Ernest Francis Bennett, who lost his life when flying solo from the No 12 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Prestwick
The wreckage of the L. A/C Bennett's aircraft was located near Strathaven, Lanarkshire
However, probably Eltham's most notable occupant is Richmal Crompton, the creator of the naughty 11 year old schoolboy hero, William Brown. Peek inside the children’s corner of any library or bookshop across Britain and it’s likely you’ll spy a copy of one of the thirty-eight William books that were written by Crompton over five decades.

Born on the 15 November 1890 in Bury, Lancashire as Richmal Crompton Lamburn. Crompton was actually her mother’s maiden name. Although an unusual name today, Richmal was a fairly common name in the Bury area, but virtually unknown outside Lancashire. She left the north for university in London, where she graduated in Classics. Like many children’s authors, Crompton worked as a teacher and, like Enid Blyton, she worked in south London, and she later lived in Bromley, Kent. The first story about William appeared in Home magazine in 1919. Since then, the William books have become bestsellers, and have been adapted for stage, radio and television – including a recent BBC version starring Daniel Roche.

In the early 1920s, Crompton contracted poliomyelitis, which led to the loss of the use of her right leg in 1923. It was then that Crompton left teaching and devoted her life to writing. During the Second World War, she volunteered for the Auxiliary Fire Service. Although she was a popular aunt and great aunt, she never married and had no children.

Crompton’s canon of work includes forty adult novels and nine collections of short stories. Despite writing most of her books for adults, it is for her character of William that Richmal Crompton continues to be most fondly remembered. Martin Jarvis, the voice of William in most radio and audiobook readings of the books, describes the world she created as “still real, still recognizable, reflecting both the absurdity and blessedness of British life.”[2] The mischievous scamp, whose motto is “Doin good, ritin’ rongs and persuin’ happiness for all” remains one of the enduring characters of British children’s fiction.

Richmal Crompton Lamburn died in Bromley on the 11th January 1969, aged 78. Her body was cremated at Eltham Crematorium five days later.

Register entry for Richmal Crompton Lamburn (taken from the Deceased Online database)

The rose garden where Richmal Crompton's ashes are scattered
As usual, we love to hear from readers of this blog. Do you have a favourite William book? Or perhaps you know of someone buried or cremated at Eltham? 

Leave a comment in the box below, or contact us on Twitter or Facebook


[1] published by Metro Guides www.metropublications.com
[2] Martin Jarvis, Foreword to More William (2010 edition, Macmillian)
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1939/1939%20-%200022.html 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a