Skip to main content

Back to School and the Cambridge City Collection

This week, children from across England and Wales returned to school. Scottish children went back a few weeks ago. And soon, thousands of older students will be heading off to colleges and universities. With the new academic term underway, this week's post looks at notable contributors to British education.
King's College Chapel, Cambridge (By Andrew Dunn - http://www.andrewdunnphoto.com/, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1340715)
The city of Cambridge in East Anglia is famed worldwide for its contribution to academia and the advancement of education at all levels. Burial and cremation records from the city have been in our database for a number of years. Deceased Online's Cambridge City Council Collection includes:
  • Cambridge City Crematorium. Huntingdon Road, Girton, Cambridge CB3 0JJ (from 1938; no addresses or places of death are revealed on records from the past 13 years)
  • Newmarket Road Cemetery (Cambridge City Cemetery), Newmarket Road/Ditton Lane, Cambridge CB5 8PE (from 1903)
  • Huntingdon Road Cemetery (on the same site as the City Crematorium; from 2003)
The collection includes the details of many notable academic and innovators. Amongst these is
(Charles) Martin Robertson (11 September 1911 - 26 December 2004), a poet and celebrated classical scholar, particularly of Greek art. After graduating from Trinity College, Cambridge, Robertson worked in Athens as a student of the British School, then worked at the British Museum. He served in the Second World War and then returned to the museum. In 1948, Robertson accepted the post of Yates Professor of Classical Art at University College London. He last post was at the University of Oxford. He is remembered for his books, Greek Painting (1959) and A History of Greek Art (1975). Martin Robertson died at the age of 93 and was buried in the City Cemetery.

Cropped Entry for Charles Martin Robertson in the Register of Burials at Cambridge Cemetery
On the other side of city from the cemetery is Cambridge Crematorium. This was opened in 1938 (with what is now the East Chapel) by a private company and taken over by Cambridge City Council in 1951. In 1991, a second chapel, the West Chapel opened.
Los Alamos Identity Badge Photograph of Otto Frisch (1904-1979)
Among the notable academics in the cremation records is Otto Robert Frisch (1 October 1904 - 22 September 1979). Frisch was an Austrian Jew who left Vienna for London in 1933 after Hitler's accession to the chancellorship of Germany. In London, Frisch worked at Birkbeck College with the physicist Patrick Maynard Stewart Blackett. Following this he worked in Copenhagen with the renowned nuclear physicist Niels Bohr. In the first part of the Second World War, Frisch was based at the University of Birmingham. In 1940, with his collaborator, Rudolf Peierls, Frisch designed the first theoretical mechanism for the detonation of an atomic bomb. After being made a British citizen in 1943, he was sent to Los Alomos in New Mexico, USA to work on the Manhattan Project.  In 1946, he arrived back in England. After a brief period at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment at Harwell, Frisch settled in Cambridge teaching as Jacksonian Professor of Natural Philosophy and a Fellow of Trinity College.

Are you excited about the new academic year? Do you have any teacher or academic forebears that you have found in the Deceased Online database. As ever, we love to hear about your discoveries. Please do share with us in the Comments Box below or on our Facebook and Twitter portals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Nottingham Collection

This week, Deceased Online expands its Nottingham Collection with the addition of records from the early Victorian cemetery, Nottingham General. Enter Nottingham's General Cemetery from Canning Terrace and be prepared to step back in time to the late 19th century. Like many of the Victorian cemeteries in the Deceased Online collections, Nottingham General was designed to take the burden from parish churches whose graveyards had become overcrowded. Also, like many other Victorian cemeteries, this was administered by a newly-formed body, the Nottingham General Cemetery Company (1836) . The Grade II listed gatehouse , the chapel and the adjacent almshouses were built between 1836 and 1838 by S. S. Rawlinson . Burial registers were kept from the opening date of cemetery in 1838. Concerns were raised in the 1920s that this municipal cemetery was now overcrowded and from 1929 the cemetery was closed to new burials other than those who owned burial rights. Headstones in

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a