Skip to main content

Blue Plaque Hero: George Arthur Roberts (1890-1970)

Last week, the life of a Camberwell war hero, firefighter and community activist was celebrated with the unveiling of a blue plaque. Deceased Online is proud to hold the cremation record of George A. Roberts as part of its Southwark Collection.
The new plaque dedicated to George A. Roberts. (credit: @heritagemonster on Twitter)
In 2015, the Southwark Heritage Association asked for members of the public to vote on who should win that year's Southwark Blue Plaque for their contribution to the London borough. Sergeant George Arthur Roberts was the first nominee in the contest. Having won the award, George's plaque was unveiled at at a ceremony on Sunday 11 September 2016 at his former home in Warner Road, Camberwell under the watchful eyes of a guard of honour from London Fire Brigade. Also present was Tedwin Herbert, the Acting High Commissioner for Trinidad and Tobago.

Portrait of George A. Roberts by Norman Hepple
Described by renowned historian Stephen Bourne as a "forgotten Camberwell hero", George Arthur Roberts was born in 1890 on the West Indian island of Trinidad. Roberts enlisted in the Trinidad Army and then in the European Service to fight in the First World War, where he saw conflict in the Somme, Loos and the Dardanelles. According to Every Week magazine (1918), 6' 2'' George became known as the "Coconut Bomber" thanks to his skill at throwing bombs long distances - as he did with coconuts as a child.

After the war, Roberts settled in Britain in the south London area of Peckham. While there, he helped to found the Royal British Legion. He led thousands of ex-servicemen, including those with battle-wounded who were unable to walk, in a march demanding improved rights and higher pensions. During this period, George's wife, Margaret, gave birth to their sons, Cyril (1921) and Victor (1922). George managed two visits to Trinidad in 1921 and 1935, as part of an army recruitment campaign in the West Indies.

Honor Oak Crematorium Register of 1970 showing the entry for George Arthur Roberts
In 1931, George Roberts helped to establish the League of Coloured Peoples, a civil rights organisation for ethnic minorities in Britain.

Too old to serve formally in the Second World War, Roberts was nevertheless keen to be involved in war and signed up to work as a fireman with the National Fire Service. It was in this capacity, fighting fires throughout the Blitz, that he is remembered by the blue plaque. Although he had worked as an electrical engineer during the inter-war years, Roberts was made a section leader in 1943. The following year he was awarded the British Empire Medal for "general duties at New Cross Fire Station and for his part as a founder and pioneer of the Discussion and Education groups of the Fire Service throughout the Second World War." Around this time, George had his portrait (see above) painted by English portraitist, Norman Hepple (1908-1994).

George lived the rest of his life near his family in Camberwell. He died on the 8th January 1970 at King's College Hospital, London. A fortnight later, on the 20th January, George A. Roberts was cremated at Honor Oak Crematorium and his ashes scattered on the New Circular Lawn.

Do you have any forgotten heroes in your family tree? It is surprising how many men and women who were celebrated during their lifetime have been neglected by historiography. Do let us know via the Comments Box below, or our Twitter and Facebook portals if there is anyone you would like remembered!

Sources:
Southwark News http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/history/blue-plaque-nominees-2015-the-ww1-hero-who-could-throw-a-bomb-74-yards/
London Fire Brigade News http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_wartimefirefightergetsblueplaque.asp#.V-kpPzMrLnA







Comments

  1. It is refreshing and inspiring to see a black man get recognition and a certain type of respect bestown on his achievements,.... easpecially in these troubled times...

    Neil Ap Jones, a young Welshman of Icons of Cymru, greats of Wales

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Nottingham Collection

This week, Deceased Online expands its Nottingham Collection with the addition of records from the early Victorian cemetery, Nottingham General. Enter Nottingham's General Cemetery from Canning Terrace and be prepared to step back in time to the late 19th century. Like many of the Victorian cemeteries in the Deceased Online collections, Nottingham General was designed to take the burden from parish churches whose graveyards had become overcrowded. Also, like many other Victorian cemeteries, this was administered by a newly-formed body, the Nottingham General Cemetery Company (1836) . The Grade II listed gatehouse , the chapel and the adjacent almshouses were built between 1836 and 1838 by S. S. Rawlinson . Burial registers were kept from the opening date of cemetery in 1838. Concerns were raised in the 1920s that this municipal cemetery was now overcrowded and from 1929 the cemetery was closed to new burials other than those who owned burial rights. Headstones in

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a