Skip to main content

Cheshire East Collection: Nantwich Food & Drink Festival

In honour of next week's Nantwich Food Festival and the recent upload of Nantwich Cemetery records to the Deceased Online database, this week's blog looks at the surprising salty past of this historic Cheshire market town 



From 1st to 3rd September 2017, the annual Nantwich Food Festival will be held entirely in the town centre among one of the county's largest collection of historical buildings. Over 200 exhibitors, demonstrators and entertainers will be based around the Elizabethan, Georgia and Victorian buildings against the backdrop of the medieval 14th century St Mary's Church. The organisers expect around 40,000 visitors.
Nantwich or Shrewbridge Lake, a salt water lake just outside Nantwich, Cheshire, UK (Wikimedia Commons)
Nantwich has notable Roman history and was known in the medieval period as 'Wich Malbanc'. Being a significant settlement near the Welsh border, Nantwich was also known by the old Welsh Hellath Wen. In the 18th century the name was changed to 'Namptwych'.

During the 19th century, Nantwich suffered an outbreak of cholera. By the end of 1849, the disease had caused the deaths of around 180 people (out of a population of circa 6,000). There was no cemetery in the town at this date and most were buried in the grounds of the parish church.


Nantwich Cemetery opened just over a quarter of a century later, in 1875. This allowed not just more burials, but also for the those who were neither Anglican nor Christians. The cemetery continues to be active, with up to 50 burials taking place each year. You can now search 11,150 records of this cemetery, dating up to 2015, in the Deceased Online database. Users can search free of charge by name and date, but there is a small fee to download register scans or access grave details (showing who else shares the plot). Do note, there is some historic lack of accuracy in the older records.
Example of a Nantwich Cemetery burial register entry from 1941
If you have Nantwich ancestors, you may find they worked either in the leather tanneries or in salt production as the town was one of the biggest salt producers in the country. In the 19th century, salt was popularly used to preserve food. The salt came from brine, which occurs naturally in springs across the region. After the decline of this method of salt production, Nantwich's salt springs drew what we might today call 'health tourists'. Between the 1880s and 1940, those ill with conditions such as stomach complaints, gout, rheumatism were drawn to Nantwich's springs. The heated outdoor brine swimming pool, opened in 1935, remains popular for those who travel across the country seeking a saltwater experience between May and October. Some of its earliest users were wounded veterans of the Great War.


We would love to hear from anyone who has family connections to Nantwich. Did they work in the salt industry or have you found any ancestors buried in Nantwich Cemetery? Do let us know in the Comments Box below or via our Facebook and Twitter pages!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a