Skip to main content

Norfolk Collection: George Skipper (1856-1948)

This week, the blog looks closer at the burial records of renowned architect George Skipper in Earlham Cemetery, Norwich.
Founded in 1771, the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital cared for the city's poor and sick. It closed in 2003 after services were moved to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (Image by Katy Walters, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9205540) 

Earlham Cemetery opened in Norwich in 1856. Laid out in an informal garden style with winding paths, the cemetery became a significant location for burying the city's dead. By the late 1920s, the cemetery had been extended across Farrow Road. Earlham Cemetery is the final resting place of the eminent Victorian and Edwardian architect, George Skipper. His burial details can be seen on the Deceased Online website as follows:


George Skipper was born in Norfolk in 1856 and died in the county 93 years later. He became celebrated as the most significant architect of the cathedral city of Norwich. The poet and broadcaster John Betjeman described him as:

altogether remarkable and original. 
He was to Norwich what Gaudi was to Barcelona.

Skipper was born in East Dereham but schooled in Norwich. His father was a carpenter and later had his own firm of builders. George trained at Norwich School of Art and then as an architect in London. However, he soon returned to Norwich, where he worked in his father's firm. In 1873, Skipper set up his own business.

From the end of the 19th century, Skipper began designing significant buildings in his home city. These included his office in London Street, the Royal Arcade, and the Norwich Union headquarters in Surrey Street. He also designed the Cliftonville and Sandcliff Hotels in Cromer, and Sexey's School in Somerset.

Above: Earlham Cemetery burial entry of George John Skipper from 6 August 1948

George Skipper's entry in the burial register of Earlham Cemetery shows that he was buried in unconsecrated ground. He is buried alongside his first wife, Elizabeth Tills Skipper (née Bayes), who died at the age of 50, and his widow and third wife (whom he married in 1913), Elizabeth Alice Skipper (née Roberts, late Charter) His son, Edward Skipper (1918–2005), also an architect, was buried alongside his mother and father in the twenty-first century

We love hearing from anyone who has found an ancestor in our database. Have you found your relative in Earlham Cemetery, or any of the other sets of records in our Norfolk Collection? Please contact us by leaving a comment in the box below, or by writing on our Facebook wall or send us a Tweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a