Skip to main content

Scottish Collection: Clackmannanshire, Dundee City, and East Ayrshire

 This week I continue our summary of what's currently available to help locate ancestors who died in Scotland by listing locations covered on our database from Clackmannanshire, Dundee City, and East Ayrshire.

The ruins of Old Dollar Parish Church, Clackmannanshire 

Clackmannanshire 
  • Alva Churchyard and Cemetery
  • Dollar Churchyard
  • Pool of Muckart Churchyard
  • Tillicoultry Cemetery, Clackmannanshire
Dundee City
  • Dundee Western Cemetery
  • Logie Old Churchyard
  • Roodyards Burial Ground, Broughty Ferry
  • St Aidan's Churchyard, Broughty Ferry
  • St Peter's Churchyards, Invergowrie
  • St Rule's Churchyard, Monifieth
East Ayrshire
  • Darvel New Cemetery
  • Darvel Old Cemetery
  • Galston Cemetery
  • Kilmaurs Cemetery
  • Kilmaurs St Maur's Glencairn Parish Church
  • Mauchline Churchyard
  • Muirkirk Cemetery
  • Muirkirk Church
  • Newmilns Cemetery
  • Newmilns Churchyard
  • Sorn Churchyard and Cemetery
Photograph by Stephencdickson - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70217233

Have you found any ancestors in our Scottish collections? Do let us know via the Comments Box below or on our Facebook and Twitter pages. We love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Wakefield Collection: Cremation Records now available on Deceased Online

Records for both crematoria in Wakefield, Yorkshire have been added to the Deceased Online database Above: Pontefract Crematorium The two sets of crematoria records have been added to Deceased Online 's Wakefield Collection .  Wakefield district contains nineteen cemeteries and two crematoria. Many of the records go back to the mid and late 19th century when the cemeteries opened, and range across a wide geographical area. The full list of  Wakefield  cemeteries live on Deceased Online,  with opening dates in brackets,   is as follows: 1.  Altofts Cemetery  – Church Road, Altofts, Normanton  (1878)   2.  Alverthorpe Cemetery  – St Paul’s Drive, Alverthorpe, Wakefield  (registers from 1955) 3. Castleford Cemetery  – Headfield Road, Castleford  (1857) 4.  Crigglestone Cemetery  – Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield  (1882) 5. Featherstone Cemetery  – Cutsyke Road, North Featherstone  (1874) 6. Ferrybridge Cemetery  – Pontefract Road, Ferrybridge, P

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a