Skip to main content

Burial Grounds versus Public Parks

Today's taphophiles and family historians often enjoy the calm and greenery of urban cemeteries. But would today's cemetery users want to return to a Victorian policy that sought to convert burial grounds into public parks?
The Hardy Tree in the grounds of St Pancras Old Church
In the 1860s, the graves of the ancient parish churchyard of St Pancras were cleared. Among those who helped clear and relocate burials from the old St Pancras Church graveyard to the new St Pancras and Islington Cemetery, was a young Thomas Hardy (1840-1928).  A famous tree still stands in the old graveyard which bears his name. Some of the church lands was taken by the Midland Railway. During this period, around 8,000 bodies were exhumed from their burial plots and some were relocated to the new cemetery in Finchley. Some headstones, like that of the feminist writer Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin (1759-1797) were left standing and can still be seen in the churchyard today. Wollstonecraft's body has since been relocated to Bournemouth in Dorset. 

After the removal of graves, the grounds were then laid out with paths, trees, and benches. Thus, the cemetery was turned into a park. Another term for these Victorian graves-turned-parks is, "urban healtheries".

Records from both the old churchyard and the new cemetery can be searched on the Deceased Online database.

Image from the database showing the records of the first burials at St Pancras and Islington Cemetery
As the century progressed, more disused burial grounds and cemeteries were converted into gardens and leisure spaces, particularly in East London. Philanthropists and others who promoted the conversion were motivated by a desire to improve the physical and moral health of the urban poor.  

Key among these philanthropists was Reginald Brabazon, 12th Earl of Meath, (31 July 1841 – 11 October 1929) was a British politician and philanthropist. It was Brabazon who described the converted graveyards of late 19th century East London as healtheries. The creator of Empire Day, Brabazon was the first chairman of both the London County Council Parks Committee and the Metropolitan Gardens Association. 
The Earl of Meath photographed in 1908 (Wikimedia Commons) 
Despite the enthusiasm of reformers like Brabazon, some London cemeteries have long held out from being turned into formal parks. Nevertheless, some, such as Highgate and Brompton cemeteries are laid out a little like parks, with paths, trees, and benches. In fact, sitting in these cemeteries can feel like being in a park - albeit one with headstones and funerary monuments. Visiting cemeteries is certainly a popular leisure activity: Highgate Cemetery, for example, recorded 89,433 visitors in 2017.

The memorial to sculptor, Anna Mahler (1904-1988) stands among trees 
For many family historians and cemetery visitors, burial grounds are not solely places for peace and reflection. They are designed for remembrance, and to allow relatives and friends to connect with their deceased love ones. Cemetery trusts and committees continue to try and to meet the wishes of all users in order to maintain this important balance.

Do you have strong views on whether a cemetery should be more or less like a park? Are you pleased that some urban sites were cleared of graves in the 19th century? Let us know by sharing your opinions in the Comments Box below or on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Sources
Tim Brown, "The making of urban ‘healtheries’: the transformation of cemeteries and burial grounds in late-Victorian East London", Journal of Historical GeographyVolume 42, October 2013, Pages 12-23; Science Direct https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305748813000583 accessed 17 July 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Spa Fields

Deceased Online has just uploaded around 114,000 burial records from Spa Fields in the modern London borough of Islington Spa Fields today, with the Church of Our Most Holy Redeemer in the background Spa Fields Burial Ground became notorious in the 19th century for its overcrowded and insanitary conditions. Located in the parish of St James, Clerkenwell, the grave yard was not far from the ever-increasing City of London. Spa Fields was known also as Clerkenwell Fields and Ducking-pond Fields in the late 18th century, hinting at a dark side to what was then a summer evening resort for north Londoners. What would become a cemetery was a ducking pond in the rural grounds of a Spa Fields public house. It was here in 1683 that six children were drowned while playing on the ice. In his History of Clerkenwell (1865) William J. Pinks wrote that visitors, "came hither to witness the rude sports that were in vogue a century ago, such as duck-hunting, prize-fighting, bull-baiting

Nottingham Collection

This week, Deceased Online expands its Nottingham Collection with the addition of records from the early Victorian cemetery, Nottingham General. Enter Nottingham's General Cemetery from Canning Terrace and be prepared to step back in time to the late 19th century. Like many of the Victorian cemeteries in the Deceased Online collections, Nottingham General was designed to take the burden from parish churches whose graveyards had become overcrowded. Also, like many other Victorian cemeteries, this was administered by a newly-formed body, the Nottingham General Cemetery Company (1836) . The Grade II listed gatehouse , the chapel and the adjacent almshouses were built between 1836 and 1838 by S. S. Rawlinson . Burial registers were kept from the opening date of cemetery in 1838. Concerns were raised in the 1920s that this municipal cemetery was now overcrowded and from 1929 the cemetery was closed to new burials other than those who owned burial rights. Headstones in

Churck (Rock) Cemetery, Nottingham

Coming soon to the Deceased Online database: two historic cemeteries from Nottingham City Council to add to the Nottingham Collection . This week, I explore the history of the renowned Church Cemetery (also known as the Rock Cemetery) . At first glance, the modern visitor to Nottingham's Church Cemetery may think they have wandered into Kensal Green , or another of London's Magnificent Seven cemeteries. The 13 acre site abounds with the kind of gothic stone monuments and large sarcophogi with which the mid-Victorians liked to remember their dead. Yet look harder and you will find something unique to Nottingham - sandstone caves. Since the middle ages, the area around Nottingham was quarried for its sandstone, now known by the name of a nearby village as "Bulwell sandstone". From 1851, after the cemetery was laid out on the former sandpits, local people grew to know it simply as "The Rock".  Church Cemetery Otherwise known as the Rock Cemetery on a